Saturday 7 March 2009

1st Interim Critique

Tutor: Kit Johnson

We gathered in a small ( consisting of four people ), specific subject area, groups to talk about our research. This was a great opportunity to get feedback out of my pears, who are all having a book as the end product. Since Kit is familiar with layouts, type and book binding, she is a great help in these areas of my project.

We talked how our task is goes beyond being just an illustrator, since we have to be editors, authors and the marketing person for our books. Kit pointed out how important it is to have a sense of what you want your book to look like. We discussed layout and she pointed out, that before starting to generate images, there should be an idea how the images will be laid out on the pages. This is to avoid having to crop the images. This had not crossed my mind, simply because I have never been given an assignment, where I have to both design the images/illustrations and the content they will be but in.

Book binding and layouts are an unfamiliar territory for me and something I feel quite intimidated of starting. We discussed to do some binding practices in a group and Vicky Martin, who just went to a book binding workshop was kind enough to offer her knowledge and notes on the field of book binding.

No comments: