Tuesday 20 January 2009

The morning starts of with an omelet accompanied with working.

The plan for today is to make my web page as finished as possible so I have good time to give Neil the files and get the page actually ready and working for internet. I am also going to use the big printer to test out how some of my creations about solitude ( posted earlier on my wall ) would work in a bigger scale. I am keen to try on different papers and see the effects of it.

Yesterday we had a meeting with Catell to show our development on the D&AD brief. I brought in the artwork we did on our meeting on Wednesday ( posted earlier on ). She liked the textures and images we generated. The advise we got was to look more into other artists who work on layers and combine different styles. We where also advised to work more into a set theme, something we already knew and to replace the black with a softer colour/colours to make the piece less dark. All and all our first session was succesfull and a good base for our tomorrows and Sundays meetings.

One of the artist Catell refrenced to was a fellow countryman of mine illustrator Jaakko Pallasvuo.

www.jaakkopallasvuo.com

He uses different textures and different shades of the same colour in his work. His work consists of very detailed parts and also in contrast paint stains that look like they have just been thrown into the canvas, in a very unfinnished matter. What inspired my about his work, was his comic strips. How he combined images with writing, making it interesting and a art piece by it self. With the inspiration I got, I tried out working in this way knew to me. It gave me some interesting results. I have always struggled to use type in my work. For me images should be enough and explaining them unneccessary. But working on a comic strip, when the type is not in focus itself, but working alongside, together with the images, I find it very interesting. Also the element of crating your own worlds within ten or so frames is appealing to me. This is also something very different from what we usually do on our course. Not working on a set brief with a lot of restrictions and having to think about how to sell the "product".

No comments: