Sunday 18 January 2009

Sunday spent with Dreamviewer

I have been ill for the couple of days and really haven`t been able to work proparly on my web site. So today, when I finally felt a little better, was a day packed with coding. The way I have been approaching this project have been about good planning. Before I ever started to my create my website I did very detailed sketches and roughs about every single aspect of the sight. So that when I reach the point where I have to put it all together, ( which I knew was going to be a tiny struggle for me ) I am well prepared.

I chose to use Dreamveawer instead of Flash after doing some research about it and asking from people who are have worked on the field of web design. What I learned was, that Dreamveawer would be the best choise for my design.

One of the things I have learned during this project is the many possibilities to do the same thing. I started doing my index page by inserting a table to the actual view of the page and placing elements, buttons, etc to the table. This didn`t really work that well, since when taking the view to the web, ( safari ) and pressing the mouse, it showed the brackets I created and this was not something I wanted. So I took an another approach and started coding. What I have done so far is created the look of the index page, copied the layout to the illustration page and photography page to keep the look of it identical. I created an illustration gallery, made thumbnails of the images I want to have. And I made my logo JOOT as the navigation button to come back from the illustration page and the photography page to the index page.

Problems I faced today, where with positioning the links in the right place on the index page. I wanted to line them underneath each other and this turned out to be a big task. I alsoa leaded that there should be no spaces between the SCC code, because this might slow the page down. Many thanks to the wonderful and patient Matt Lewis, who was there to answer my countless questions!

I still need to do put more images to my illustration and photography gallery, make them open up bigger, as light boxes and get some web space to put the site into the web. I also need to finish my sketchbook and photograph some of the illustration pieces I am working on at the moment. To my understanding of the web and how people are looking at the things in it, I am reading two books by Ed. Julius Wiedermann; Web Design: Portfolios ad Web Design: E-Commerce.

No comments: