Monday 23 February 2009

The Arts Institute at Bournemouth
Learning Agreement
Name: Milla Koivisto
Course: FdA Visual Communication Level: 2
Unit: Professional Project
Reference number: VCM209
Credit points: 45
Study hours: 450
Tutors: Sally Hope, Kit Johnson, Mike Ryan, Neil Leonard

Synopsis of study
In my professional project I will produce two individual books. The first book will contain a science fiction short story, which I plan to write along side with 6 to 10 illustrations, influenced by the short story. I will also produce an artist’s sketchbook, or a pictorial sketchbook, containing all the development of my illustrations, such as rough sketches of my characters, studies of movement, emotions, shape and photographic elements. This will be a more in depth sight to my design process and development, but also a final product of its own. It will be a study of my illustrational work, a window to the creative mind of an illustrator. This will make a collectable, one of a kind piece.

I will start by writing the science fiction short story, that will have my unique voice and will be an original piece to cater my taste and views or criticism of the world we live in, or the utopian views of the future. In my short story I am debating, discussing and analyzing, in the form of fiction, this meaning dialogue, monologue and emotions of the characters, the subjects of what it is to be human, how it feels to feel, how to define abstract elements such as feelings, for example love.

My main focuses will be on the interaction between words and images, how to explain with images and give the text a deeper meaning. How to illustrate abstract feelings, such as grief, pain, hurt, love, happiness.

Alongside my development, I will make myself a week to week time plan to clarify my development and to show what further research need to be done. The whole analytical side of my designing process will also be documented in my blogger space (millajoot.blogspot.com ).

The artists sketchbook I will do to an old already existing book found from a charity shop, giving it a new look and meaning. The book containing a science fiction story I will either bind myself or have printed out at a printers or a bindery. This will come more clear as I look into these areas and this will give me the most appropriate medium to create my book.

The target audience of my books is a niche market. My books are not targeted to a mainstream audience. With this I want to increase the value of them, making them limited edition books, for galleries, artist books collectors and art collectors.

My main goal in this project is to produce a piece of successful, professional standard work, that will be interesting, unique and recognizable for me. When presenting my final product it will be vital, to stand out from others and to be recognized. In my book I will explore the interaction between words and images. The end product will be a presentable portfolio piece and something defining my style as an artist and helping get into third year illustration.

Aims
A1 To consolidate my creativity and practical skills in response to a professional brief.

A2 To develop my creativity and my knowledge and understanding of professional practice.

A3 To develop and produce a professional standard of creative work in response to a simulated brief.

A4 To prepare me for further study.

Learning outcomes
On completion of this unit I will be able to:

LO1 Demonstrate a professional standard of creativity and practical ability, including:
- Work that is technically comparable to that made within specific genre.
- Work that shows an awareness of contemporary trends, styles and subject matter, within commercial contexts.
- Work that shows a high degree of creativity and aesthetic judgment.

LO2 Demonstrate a professional ability to plan your time and your work, including:
- Project time planning
- Working successfully with others in the production of creative outcomes.

LO3 Respond appropriately to the demands of a self initiated brief, including:
- Appropriate creative outcomes to the industry/work related briefs.

LO4 Demonstrate readiness for employment, freelance work or further study with confidence in the level of your creativity, practical and professional knowledge and skills.

Assessment Requirements
For assessment I will produce development sketchbooks, including illustrative work/concepts, designer sheets, research into contemporary practices and authorial illustration, leading into an artists sketchbook showing all my illustrations and the development of my characters as well as a book containing six to twenty images illustrating a science fiction short story.
( 100% )

Assessment Criteria ( specific criteria related to the learning outcomes and linked to the statement of generic assessment criteria matrix):

Evidence of understanding through synthesis and development – Research used to inform design decisions and communicate ideas (LO1)

Evidence of knowledge of concepts and contexts – Project work that shows creative maturity and direction within a commercial context (LO1, LO2)

Evidence of understanding through research and analysis – Extensive research, and the application of it, used foe the underpinning and final conclusion of project work ( LO1, LO2, LO3)

Evidence of understanding through critical evaluation and reflection – The objectives of the research have clearly been identified and used to inform project work. (LO1, LO2)

Transferable Skills
Managing Self (Y)

Professional Skills (Y)

Teamworking (N)


Reference
I will have a completed bibliography in the duration of this project. I will keep on adding to my bibliography as I research further into my chosen area of subject.


Action plan/time plan
By 6th of March I will have my story in its final form. This will able me to focus on the generation of my illustrations, which will be inspired by the words.

By 27th of March I will have most of my research done.

By 17th of March I will have rough illustrations to show to be critiqued.

By 30th of March I will have my artists sketchbook near to ready and be critiqued.



Through out the brief I will continue to reflect and analyze my own work and the development and changes of my illustrations. This I will do in my sketchbooks as well as in my blog.

Along side with the grander scale plan I will carry on doing a detailed week to week time plan, depending on my development, new research and discoveries.

No comments: