Wednesday 4 February 2009

FMP

The past couple of days I have been looking at artists sketchbooks for inspiration and research for my FMP. I have been looking at a variety of work, from different eras, for example Goya`s ( 1746-1828 ) the "Italian sketchbook" and some of my current day influences such as South American Herbert Baglione.

What I noticed when looking at a lot of images and peoples work in general, is that there is a lot of noise. This comes across in colour, textures, details. Maybe it is an reflection of our time. we live in a time filled with information, noise ( sounds ) opportunities, people, crowds, stimulants. And art is always a reflection of it`s time. A reflection of the artists view of things.

The more I look at the world around me and the art that is produces, the more I just want to suck everything in a box and only let one thing out at a time. By this I mean, that for me, there is too much going on. Maybe this is me trying to define style, justify it. I believe, that in illustration you should only draw the lines that are necessary for the viewer to understand what is going on. Don`t underestimate your audience. Less is more!

From the beginning of this week I have been doing myself a time table for the on going week. I have been writing it as I go, so depending on what I learned and discovered that day, I planned the next one. Tis has been extremely helpful and have made me focus on the specific things. When working with a big chunk of information and materials to research, it is sometimes hard to do one thing at the time. This is definatly something I will keep on doing through out this project, along side a bigger scale timetable.

No comments: